- 2 pounds fresh jalapeño peppers
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 6 Weck or Le Parfait Jars, sterilized with lids and rubber gaskets
Prepare the Jars:
- Ensure your Weck or Le Parfait jars, glass lids, and rubber gaskets are clean and sanitized. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for sterilizing and sealing the jars.
Prepare the Jalapeños:
- Wearing gloves to protect your hands, wash and slice the jalapeño peppers into thin rounds. Remove the seeds for milder pickles or leave them in for spicier ones.
Make the Pickling Liquid:
- In a large pot, combine the white vinegar, water, smashed garlic cloves, granulated sugar, pickling salt, and black peppercorns. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar and salt dissolve.
Pack the Jars:
- Carefully remove a hot Weck or Le Parfait jar from the sterilizing bath, empty any water inside, and place it on a clean kitchen towel.
- Fill the hot jar with the sliced jalapeños, leaving about 1/4-inch of headspace.
- Pour the hot pickling liquid over the jalapeños, covering them completely and leaving 1/4-inch of headspace.
- Wipe the rim of the jar with a clean, damp cloth to ensure a clean seal.
- Place a sterilized glass lid on top and secure it with the appropriate clamps or bands to hold it in place, depending on whether you're using Weck or Le Parfait jars.
- Repeat this process for the remaining jars, ensuring they are filled while both the jalapeños and jars are still hot.
Process the Jars:
- Place the filled Weck or Le Parfait jars in a large canning pot or water bath canner, ensuring they are fully submerged in water.
- Bring the water to a boil, and once boiling, process the jars for 10-15 minutes, adjusting for your altitude (consult canning guidelines for details).
- After processing, turn off the heat, remove the canner lid, and let the jars sit for 5 minutes before carefully removing them from the water bath.
- Place the hot jars on a clean kitchen towel or cooling rack to cool completely. You will hear a "pop" as each jar's seal creates a vacuum.
Check the Seals:
- Once the jars have cooled, press down on the center of each lid. If it doesn't flex or make a popping sound, the jar is sealed correctly. If a lid does flex or make a popping sound, it hasn't sealed, and you should refrigerate and consume the contents within a few weeks.
Label and Store:
- Label your sealed Weck or Le Parfait jars with the date and store them in a cool, dark, and dry place.
Your homemade Pickled Jalapeño Slices in Weck or Le Parfait jars add a spicy kick to your favorite dishes. Use them as a topping for tacos, nachos, burgers, or sandwiches, or incorporate them into your recipes for an extra zing! These preserved jars also make fantastic gifts for spice-loving friends and family.