- 8 red bell peppers
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- 6 Le Parfait or Weck Jars, sterilized with lids and rubber gaskets
Prepare the Jars:
- Ensure your Le Parfait or Weck jars, glass lids, and rubber gaskets are clean and sanitized. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for sterilizing and sealing the jars.
Roast the Red Peppers and Tomatoes:
- Preheat your oven's broiler to high.
- Place the red bell peppers on a baking sheet and broil them, turning occasionally until their skins are charred and blistered. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the red peppers from the oven and place them in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let them steam for about 10 minutes. This will make it easier to peel off the skins.
- While the peppers are steaming, cut the ripe tomatoes in half and place them cut side down on the same baking sheet. Broil them for about 5-7 minutes until the skins blister and darken.
- Once the red peppers have steamed, peel off the charred skins, remove the seeds, and roughly chop the flesh. Also, peel off the tomato skins.
Make the Soup:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the roasted red peppers and tomatoes to the pot and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, dried basil, and dried oregano. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the soup until it's smooth. Be cautious, as it will be hot.
Fill the Jars:
- Carefully remove a hot Le Parfait or Weck jar from the sterilizing bath, empty any water inside, and place it on a clean kitchen towel.
- Fill the hot jar with the hot roasted red pepper and tomato soup, leaving about 1/4-inch of headspace.
- Wipe the rim of the jar with a clean, damp cloth to ensure a clean seal.
- Place a sterilized glass lid on top and secure it with the appropriate clamps or bands to hold it in place, depending on whether you're using Le Parfait or Weck jars.
- Repeat this process for the remaining jars, ensuring they are filled while both the soup and jars are still hot.
Process the Jars:
- Place the filled Le Parfait or Weck jars in a large canning pot or water bath canner, ensuring they are fully submerged in water.
- Bring the water to a boil, and once boiling, process the jars for 30 minutes, adjusting for your altitude (consult canning guidelines for details).
- After processing, turn off the heat, remove the canner lid, and let the jars sit for 5 minutes before carefully removing them from the water bath.
- Place the hot jars on a clean kitchen towel or cooling rack to cool completely. You will hear a "pop" as each jar's seal creates a vacuum.
Check the Seals:
- Once the jars have cooled, press down on the center of each lid. If it doesn't flex or make a popping sound, the jar is sealed correctly. If a lid does flex or make a popping sound, it hasn't sealed, and you should refrigerate and consume the contents within a few weeks.
Label and Store:
- Label your sealed Le Parfait or Weck jars with the date and store them in a cool, dark, and dry place.
Your homemade Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup in Le Parfait or Weck jars is a comforting and flavorful option for quick and easy meals. Simply heat and serve with a garnish of fresh basil leaves. These preserved jars also make thoughtful and delicious gifts for friends and family.